Waunakee Airpark LLC
Waunakee airport was first defined as a landing area by Jerome Ripp who landed here in August of 1946 after starting flying lessons the previous month. It was at the time the Ripp family farm. The following year the runway orientation and definition was laid out. It has operated as an airport since then and has seen the likes of P-51s Beech 1 8s and countless other aircraft. It is now a hard surface (asphalt) east west runway with pilot controlled lighting and self service 100 LL fuel at a very competitive price. The community has long supported the airport and continues to do so.
In February 2005 a group of aviation enthusiasts with property adjoining the airport approached Jerome and his wife Dolores with a plan to purchase the airport and ensure the airport's continued operation for the future. That plan became reality in August of 2005 when Waunakee Airpark LLC became the new owner.
Waunakee Airpark LLC is made up of 23 investors and their families, committed through it's corporate operating agreement to continue the long term operation of the airport. The T-hangar building proposal is another example of this commitment. This airport is operating with the intent to maintain it as a neighborhood friendly, aviator oriented part of the community. Currently, high school aviation summer school programs are conducted by members of the LLC. In August each year the Waunakee Airport and Pilots Association hosts a community breakfast where more than a thousand neighbors stop by for pancakes, eggs, and sausage, and visit with the members of the aviation group. There is music, airplane rides, static displays, all of this to maintain our good neighbor status. This breakfast has been an airport tradition since 1960.